“We can do it again!”Categories: Evangelism
In was July 1975, I was only five months old and had no clue what was going on in the world, but the Camden Ave. Church of Christ was having Vacation Bible School. It was a five-day V.B.S. and according to the July 27, 1975 church bulletin, the average attendance was 630 people. The attendance for each night was: Monday 619; Tuesday 647; Wednesday 674; Thursday 613; and Friday 593.
Now compare these numbers to last year’s V.B.S. (2018). We have gone from a five-day V.B.S. to a three-day V.B.S. Our average attendance in 2018 was 143. The attendance for each night was Monday 133; Tuesday 146; and Wednesday 152.
Many people will look at these numbers and say, “Well a lot has changed in 44 years.” That is true. We live in different times, we have internet, cell phones, and laptop computers. Our cars have better gas mileage, our homes are more energy efficient, and over all we have more advancements in technology than we did 44 years ago. Along with this people have changed, there is less interest in spiritual things, congregations are closing their doors, and it is getting more difficult to find a faithful gospel preacher. But with all the differences and changes today we need to ask some important questions:
- Has the Bible changed? Mt. 24:35, “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.”
- Has the need for salvation changed? 1 Tim. 2:3-4, “This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.”
- Does what the Bible teach about the church change? Mt. 16:18, “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.”
- Has God changed? Jm. 1:17, “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.”
- Has Jesus changed? Heb. 13:8, “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.”
- Does what the Bible teach about how one becomes a Christian ever change? Act 2:38-39, “And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself.”
- Do people still die? Heb 9:27, “And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,”
Although many things have changed over the past 44 years, the essential things of God have not changed. True, it may be more of a challenge to get people interested in spiritual things and the Bible, this does not mean that God’s word is any less important, it means we must work harder.
44 years ago, we had a great VBS, let us put forth a great effort to do it again! If we did it before we can do it again, it is just going to take a lot of effort and prayer!
Let’s invite our friends and family to V.B.S. July 8,9, and 10. Each night will start at 6:30 p.m. and dismiss at 8:00 p.m. See you and your friends there!!! In Christ, Mark T. Tonkery